Thursday, August 17, 2006

Morrocan Mysteries Unveiled

Last night was my last night with my Morrocan family. They did not want to let me go, and kept me three days longer than I expected, but finally, when they realized I WAS going, they gave me a party, with couscous, and dancing, and drums and clapping and singing. They hennaed my ankles, like in a marriage ceremony, and told me that they were marrying me, because I had stolen their hearts, and sang loves songs to me, while I danced for them. Then they rushed me off to the bus station in a friend's taxi. An absolutely incredible eperience. One of the family is a Morrocan star, Said, and he sang to me, after we stayed up until four in the morning, talking about God, and how their is no Jew, or Christian or Muslim, only one God. An amazingly deep conversation. Afterwards he agreed to write a song about it, and asked me to write an article about my experience with him and his family. I will do it. I  will never forget them. Now I must find rich husbands for them. This is their only social policy for women! Otherwise they do not have a chance; and the divorce rate in Fes is 80 percent!!!! I am constantly thinking about the poverty, and the sickness, and the joy they find in living amidst such difficulties. I am learning important lessons, and finding a sense of purpose and peace. Today I will begin my jourey into the Sahara I hope. I am in a small village called Erfour, in a hotel, with backpackers from all over the world.
Shelora


--
May peace prevail.
Shelora

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is the divorce rate 80%? is it they "harvest" a woman's virginity and then leave her "corpse" for the vulchers??

how brutal this image is but I can't help but feel the pain of this statistic

my gosh Shelora
your trip to the desert sounded so peaceful and sensual with the way you and your guide connected...

maybe this opened up your flow
allowing your own juices to flow in the
parched desert

my flow is happening now, like a small babbly brook reminding me of a feeble vein of life within

I am angry and shocked today. One of my "bosom buddies" from the west coast has been rediagnosed with breast cancer again...how I wish I could find the sword to slay this dragon

Lisa

9/12/2006 8:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home